After the Trump campaign announced a July campaign finance haul of over $80M, the Clinton campaign has kicked into overdrive, stating that they needed to "redouble their efforts" to ensure the GOP nominee stays down. The extra effort seems indeed warranted, as the campaign has struggled to secure support from segments that were seen as a given, such as Obama supporters. In our collaboration with the Financial Times, we found that around one third of big Obama donors in 2012 have yet to contribute to Hillary Clinton in 2016.
We decided to have a look at the top donors who have declined to give to Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential bid:
1. Anne C. Chambers: With a net worth of $18B, Anne Chambers is listed in Forbes as one of the most influential donors in the Forbes 400 list of 2015. Chair of Atlanta Newspapers and daughter of 1920 presidential nominee James M. Cox, Chambers is an active philanthropist in education, and an active Democratic campaigner. She has gone door-to-door campaigning for Al Gore, John Kerry and Barack Obama. She has given over $2M to Obama's 2012 campaign, but has yet to give to Hillary Clinton.
2. Michael L. Snow: Snow is a partner of Maslon, Edelman, Borman & Brand LLP, a principal of Artesian Capital LP, and director at Miller Mills Company - the biggest wheat mill in the United States. He gave $1,142,000 to Obama’s 2012 campaign, but has yet to give Clinton in 2016.
3. Kareem Ahmed: The embattled CEO of Landmark Medical is a prominent Obama donor, having given over $1M to his 2012 campaign. Since then, Ahmed has gained (negative) visibility due to his indictment in a multi-million dollar case of worker’s comp fraud, combined with charges of involuntary manslaughter. It is perhaps expected that he has laid low in 2016, to avoid handing over ammunition to Hillary Clinton’s opponents.
4. David Boies: A prominent lawyer and Chair of Boies, Schiller & Flexner, Boies has been involved in various high-profile cases in technology, media and electoral litigation. Most prominently, he represented Vice-President Al Gore in Bush v. Gore. Boies gave over $1M to Obama in 2012, and has yet to give to Hillary Clinton in 2016.
5. Alida Rockefeller Messinger: the fourth daughter of real estate mogul John D. Rockefeller, Alida is a philanthropist and a prominent political donor, focusing primarily on environmental conservation. Alida gave nearly $1.1M to Obama’s 2012 campaign, and has yet to give to Hillary Clinton in 2016
Who do you want to see in the White House? Endorse your favorite candidate below.