Writing a political memoir is as much a part of the political process as having one's own Super-PAC nowadays. While book sales don't directly translate to votes, they are a good indicator of which candidates are most relevant in the public's eye.
We compiled the top-selling books authored by presidential candidates according to Amazon ranking. Senator Ted Cruz is leading the race with his A Time for Truth: Reigniting the Promise of America. He's followed by fellow Republicans Ben Carson (Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story) and Donald Trump (Trump: The Art of the Deal). Though he's trailing Hillary in the polls, Senator Bernie Sanders is in 4th place with the transcript of his famous 2010 filibuster, The Speech: A Historic Filibuster. Hillary Clinton rounds out the top five with Hard Choices.
These aren't the only candidates who have felt a brush of literary genius. The full list of candidates with book releases continues below, as determined by their Amazon bestseller rank on July 6, 2015.
- Ted Cruz, A Time for Truth: Reigniting the Promise of America (rank #116)
- Ben Carson, Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story (rank #775)
- Donald Trump, Trump: The Art of the Deal (rank #1,128)
- Bernie Sanders, The Speech: A Historic Filibuster on Corporate Greed and the Decline of our Middle Class (rank #1,931)
- Hilary Clinton, Hard Choices (rank #10,226)
- Rand Paul, Taking a Stand: Moving Beyond Partisan Politics to Unite America (rank #17,573)
- Mike Huckabee, God, Guns, Grits, and Gravy (rank #27,470)
- Carly Fiorina, Rising to the Challenge: My Leadership Journey (rank #29,549)
- Marco Rubio, American Dreams: Restoring Economic Opportunity for Everyone (rank #39,237)
- Jeb Bush, Immigration Wars: Forging an American Solution (rank #70,769)
- Rick Santorum, Bella's Gift: How One Little Girl Transformed Our Family and Inspired a Nation (rank #72,090)
- Bobby Jindal, Leadership and Crisis (rank #198,812)
- Rick Perry, Fed Up!: Our Fight to Save American from Washington (rank #208,234)
- Lincoln Chafee, Against the Tide: How a Compliant Congress Empowered a Reckless President (rank #712,122
- George Pataki, Pataki: An Autobiography (rank #1,056,414)
Interested in more data on the 2016 presidential race? Check out our exclusive coverage of the election in our 2016 guide!