As a twenty-three year veteran of the U.S. Navy, I am sickened by what I see in Washington D.C. This Administration’s vision of America is not the same vision that I, and other Americans have fought and often died for. Also, instead of being the “adults in the room,” the Republican controlled Congress has hastened the downward spiral of our great democracy through their politics of division and greed. My opponent Daniel Webster, is career politician and a Freedom Caucus Republican owned and directed by the NRA and the Koch brothers. I have several lifelong Republicans working with my campaign to make a change in Florida’s 11th District. We intend to show Congress what bi-partisan efforts can accomplish, but first I need to get on the ballot. The state of Florida charges congressional candidates $10,440 to have their name placed on the ballot. I need you help!
My values come from my father. He grew up working alongside other poor whites and African-Americans in the tobacco fields of North Carolina before joining the Army Air Corps in WW II. I am the youngest in a family of four boys. My father taught all of us from an early age that lying was unacceptable, and that hard work and integrity were the measure of a person. My parents built a middle-class family and instilled in us that not everyone was as fortunate as we were and judging others by the color of their skin or the quality of the clothes on their backs was not only demeaning to them but to us. Those values served me well in the United States Navy Submarine Nuclear Power Program where I enlisted as a seaman recruit and worked my way through the ranks to a commissioned officer.
My position and my commitment to you on some important issues:
● Health Care is a right and not a privilege. I will work to fix the Affordable Care Act and reauthorize the Child Health Insurance Program as a bridge to a single payer health care system similar Medicare for all Americans.
● I will support legislation to improve environmental protections and direct the E.P.A. to enforce anti-pollution statutes.
● I support sensible gun safety legislation requiring 100% background checks for gun purchases. Bump stocks, silencers, and armor piercing bullets must be banned and a Federal Firearms License should be required to purchase or possess an assault rifle or extended magazine.
● We must fully fund public education including providing for up to two years of free community college or technical training to slash the cost of a four-year college degree and provide our youth with the skills to be competitive in today’s job market.
● Social Security must be stabilized and we must ensure benefits are there for current and future generations. Privatization is NOT the answer.
Those of us born and raised in Florida know that to “drain the swamp” you first have to get rid of the big old alligators. Let’s start with my Trump-supporting opponent. Florida’s 11th District is ripe for a change. I am respectfully asking for your support.
Show your support for this campaign by endorsing it and sharing why!
Thank you for endorsing this campaign!
December 6, 2017