My name is Derek Van Voast, and I am very excited to announce that I am running for Ward 4, Position 2 on the Springdale City Council.
Native to Arkansas, I was raised by my grandmother in extreme poverty in DeQueen. Our nomadic lifestyle affected my upbringing causing me to not know where I would sleep or get my next meal. I was relocated numerous times finding myself in the homes of multiple relatives and friends. I was blessed with a talent for playing football which was my ticket out of this lifestyle. Football allowed me the privilege to earn a Bachelor's Degree in Kinesiology and a Masters in Recreational Sports Management. I intend to earn my doctorate in Community Health.
Although my childhood was tough, it was a gift. It gave me an understanding of what working hard can accomplish. I have launched and operated two businesses in Springdale while also coaching football and track at both Springdale and Har-ber High Schools.
While coaching was fulfilling and winning thirteen championships added to the thrill, the most rewarding experience was the opportunity to help and influence the youth and families of our community in need.
The passion I had for working with youth led me to start Building Bridges, a non-profit organization covering all of Northwest Arkansas. The mission statement of Building Bridges is “To provide young adults who may be challenged with a difficult situation, or family circumstance, with access to support options for self-growth, life skills and leadership skills. To fundamentally bridge the gap between a difficult situation and a successful start to adult life.” More information can be retrieved at http://buildingbridgesllc.net/about/
With my diverse background, passionate work ethic, culture, and my love for all the people of Springdale, I know that I am the best candidate for this position. If I am elected, I will ensure that ALL people have a voice.
Our mission is to inspire humanity to embrace a culture of kindness throughout our ENTIRE community.
By working together we will foster common ground relationships, economic opportunity, cultural diversity and community stewardship.
Phone: (479) 255-5545
Donate Now: http://vanvoast.com/donate-now/
Candidate Question #1: Can you help improve race relations and why?
- Going into the community and being an advocate for their needs.
- Simply by running as a person of color, I feel race relations can improve.
- By going into the community, engaging in difficult race conversation, listening to the people, and being a voice for the people of the community who are voiceless.
- Embracing the diversity of our community
- Having a compassionate heart while treating ALL as equals.
Candidate Question #2: What are you going to do to help improve the infrastructure and community involvement?
- Community health education.
- Keep the money made in Springdale spent in Springdale by ensuring local small businesses are supported as well as recruiting businesses to start up.
- Plan community events to celebrate ALL cultures.
- Educate on the availability of grants to start up minority run businesses.
- As a small business owner, I am an advocate for other small business owners.
Candidate Question #3: Why are you running for city council and why should residents vote for you?
- Change the face of the community and the way people view Springdale. Other communities should be looking to Springdale as a leader in racial diversity.
- Heart and passion for ALL members of the Springdale community.
- Empower ALL members of this community to voice their concerns and needs.
- The world is changing and I am not seeing our community change with it. Change happens from the top down.
- Every team needs a coach...let's make the perfect game plan for Springdale’s future!